Saturday, April 10, 2010

Stuff

I was out running errands yesterday and stopped at a garage sale. Fun to do when it's snowing! Found a stack of 12 old Needlecraft magazines dated from 1919 through 1921. Of course I bought them.

They're fragile, but full of oh so wonderful articles, photos and drawings. I want to try to copy some of the fashions...they're awesome.

I'm going to dedicate this blog from here forward to fashion makeovers and clothing recycle projects. My last post included a link to Wardrobe Refashion, but it is going to begin charging a fee for access. That in itself wouldn't be a big problem, but the costs proposed is equal to about 8 to 10 annual magazine subscriptions. I simply can't afford that and will search the web for other wonderful sites to link to mine for refashion inspiration and tips.

I'm looking forward to blogging regularly here from now on and posting projects. Perhaps later, I, or other WR participants can allow outside content to be posted to our own blogs for more inspiration.

7 comments:

  1. I'm done posting at WR too--and sad about it, but if the site is going to come down soon (weeks? months?), what's the point of continuing to add content? My blog could use more attention anyway... ;)

    But hey--AWESOME find! I might even learn to read crochet patterns for such a sweet deal. Have fun with that, I'll be watching for updates.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love finding old magazines. I have a bunch of knitting mags from the 50's-70's. They're so much fun.

    BTW...if you're interested in sharing projects for free, check this out

    http://thethriftygarderobe.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you about the WR fees.. I simply can't afford around $120 a year... so am now following your blog... am trying to follow as many individual blogs from WR as I can before it becomes subscription only :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I didn't even know about the WR changes until I read your post. I can understand the cost issues, but that's quite a hefty charge, no matter what other kind of content is included. So... I'll be posting about my stuff on my blog.

    However, lucky you finding the Needlecraft magazines!!! I'm in love with vintage crochet mags lately! Have you been here? http://www.antiquepatterns.dreamhosters.com/ Awesome collection of FREE vintage patterns you can download. No affiliation, just found it last week and fell in love :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there --

    Looks like you might have started another site for sharing re-fashioning ideas. I'm just now in the process of writing a post about this topic and I have the same issue as you mentioned, being 54 this year. I'm hoping to get some ideas about how to re-fashion clothes in a way that won't make me look like a bag lady! Hope you'll drop by for a visit. Won't be posted until a week on Sunday, I think, but perhaps you'll come visit anyhow...S

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to follow up to my comment, I am also 51, and struggling with what to wear. I don't want to wear 'old lady' clothes, but I don't want to look like I'm trying to 'keep my youth' either. I enjoy being over 50 and a Grandma. But there is little fashion advice out there for women our ages.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Turning 44 here, in a few weeks. I'd love to be part of a refashioning community that focused on the not-born-yesterday demographic!

    ReplyDelete